Sunday, September 14, 2008

No Bed Rest... Yet...

8 September 2008, Monday

Dallin had an assembly today where they sealed a time capsule at the school for 50 years. I asked him if he would be alive when they opened it and he said he would but that I would almost be dead.

After dinner we had family home evening. We talked about the primary theme for the month, something like "I can pray and Heavenly Father will hear and answer my prayers." We talked about Joseph Smith's first vision, and Jana and I shared personal experiences about having prayers answered. Then we read a bit from Alma 34 about when we should pray. Dallin told me, "I just said a prayer in my head, because I'm not sure if the prophets are true. But I didn't get an answer." Jana and I told him that he was doing the right thing to pray about it and that sometime answers don't come right away. We encouraged him to keep praying and to think about the feeling he is getting. He said later than he was getting a little feeling. He is a great kid.

9 September 2008, Tuesday

After school, the boys went over to James' house to play. Dallin and James set up the play date, while Sam was playing on the big toys. Jana didn't know if Sammy was included. She told Sam it was time to go home, and he started to get sad that he wasn't going to play. James and Dallin ran back to get him and included him in their play. James is right between Dallin and Sam, and sometimes Sam gets left out. I'm glad they included him today.

Sam fell asleep while I was reading to him tonight, so Dallin and I postponed our "Roughhouse Night" until Sam could do it with us. Dallin read to me tonight. I got out a handful of Smarties and ate one every time he didn't correct a mistake. He gets going too fast and guesses words by their first two or three letters. After he saw me with the candy, he slowed way down, and his accuracy was close to 100%. Smarties are gross.

10 September 2008, Wednesday

Jana didn't feel well today. She asked me to pick the kids up from school. It was my first time picking them up and I didn't really know what to do and the teachers didn't really know what to do with me. I kept expecting to see Sam in his classroom, but he wasn't there. It turned out that he had a bloody nose and I had to be taken to the office to pick him up.

When I got home, Jana was still having regular painful contractions. She and I dropped the kids off at the Amber's and went to the hospital. We were there for several hours and Jana received two shots and some oral medication. Her doctor came to check everything and she was sent home unsure with a wait-and-see until the next appointment.

We picked up the kids at the Amber's. She had asked the boys what they wanted for dinner, and they told her they wanted spaghetti. When she put it in front of them, they announced that they didn't like spaghetti (what they think they don't like is tomato sauce). She suggested they take a bite and they ate it all.

12 September 2008, Friday

Dallin really didn't want to go to school today. I had to hold his hand all the way so he wouldn't run home. Jana and I think he is just worried about the baby and he doesn't want to miss the fun of having Dad at home all day. I told him he could stay home from school if he wanted to clean all of the bathrooms with me. He jumped at the chance, but when I said he had to put his hand in the toilet to clean the bowl, he decided he'd rather not.

Jana went to the doctor and everything checked out normal. He did not put her on bed rest, to our huge relief, but asked that she reduce her activity.

13 September 2008, Saturday

Today was cleaning day. Dallin helped me with my chores by mopping the kitchen floor. He did a very good job.

I took the boys on a bike ride to get out of the house and let Jana rest. We rode just south of Blue Mountain Elementary school and stopped to look at the irrigation dam. We saw a bunch of snakes sunning themselves on the rocks. They looked lazy, but when they saw us the scattered amazingly quickly. We rode on the dirt road over to Altona Middle School which still had some big puddles from the rain yesterday. I told the boys not to ride in the puddles, but Dallin did. I had to push him out. Sam wanted to next but I convinced him not to. Unfortunately, as he was riding around one of them, the ground became uneven and his training wheel hit a bump and pushed him into the puddle. He was very sad, but was able to keep riding after a little break. We rode to Altona and then back along Clover Basin DR. Along the way Dallin told be about bad people that cut down our trees and that we won't have any air if they keep doing it. How did my son become an environmentalist?

No comments: