Monday, November 17, 2008

And its out! SketchUp 7!

I don't usually talk about myself much here, except in reaction to something my kids do, but I've had a big week so you get to hear a little about me. As most of you know, I've been working at Google for the last year and a half. I work on SketchUp, a 3D modeling tool written for designers, not CAD jockeys (no offense to CAD jockeys, ahem). SketchUp is by far my favorite Google product. @Last software, the original creators of SketchUp, was acquired by Google about a year before I got here. Fortunately, we have been able to keep the same passionate development team together (except for a few additions, like your truly). I really love working with these guys.

Today, it has finally gone public that we are releasing SketchUp 7. You can even see a video with me in it on that page, though I can't really recommend my acting. I work on the 2D presentation tool called LayOut. I helped develop the new curve tool, the editable paths, the move rotate and scale manipulators, and the in-place group edit. It has been a great year and I'm really proud of what we've come up with.

So that's it for this week. It has been a crazy few months. I think we're all looking forward to Christmas break!

3 comments:

Nettina said...

I tried to watch the video, but it kept disappearing every time I clicked on it :(

Unknown said...

way to go preston. this application (or whatever you call it) seems amazing. i can't believe someone i know actually knows how to talk 'computer'. i just say 'you are such a stupid computer'. my computer doesnt listen to that language very well.

Jenn Johnson said...

congratulations! i saw the video and bragged to my roommates about you. Ha ha, they thought it was so cool you worked with Google! love ya!